It is imperative that we take action when it comes to our mental health. This choice is a brave one to make and can help those who are struggling to find relief to their problems. No one is exempted to this; at one point, anyone can feel vulnerable. People can have troubles with anxiety, depression, panic attacks, OCD, or other mental health illnesses. Seeking help can help be difficult, especially deciding on how to find a therapist in NYC. What steps can you make to ensure that you find the right therapist for you?
Where Can You Find Best Therapists and Mental Health Providers in NYC?
How and where can you find a therapist in NYC? Here are some sources you can use for finding a therapist.
Ask Your Family and Friends
You can ask your family and friends first and chances are, they have an idea about a good therapist you can contact for an appointment. If they are aware of your mental health situation, they can give you initial feedback about the therapist they will suggest.
Find a Therapist Through the Employee Assistance Program or EAP For Possible Therapists
In New York City, there are corporations that have EAP services. These EAPs would have options for free of charge counseling either through phone or in person. If you are seeking longer treatments, you can ask them for referrals from their network of therapists.
Take Advantage of Your Insurance Company
Verify with your insurance company about mental health benefits they provide. There could also be a list of mental health providers that you can contact for more information for therapists.
Use Schools or Universities
Look for universities or schools that may have counseling centers. If you would like help from licensed psychiatrists, you can ask referrals from school and college guidance counselors. They can provide you with names with their location and specialty.
Ask Help From Your Current Medical Professionals
You can tap into the network of medical professionals by asking those who currently work with you. Contact primary care physicians, midwives, nurses, massage therapists, nurses, naturopathic doctors who may know psychiatrists and psychologists.
How Much Is Therapy in NYC?
NYC is one of the most expensive places to have therapy. One session of therapy can cost an average of 175 to 200 dollars. This is not a cheap experience so you should consider looking for therapists whose fees would fit your budget. This is important for those who would need long term services.
Find Therapists Based On Different Concerns They Handle
Mental health concerns like anxiety, depression, stress, relationship issues, life transitions, or career counseling can be handled by most therapists with the training that they have received.
Mental health professionals fall in different categories depending on their training and approach to therapy. Here are different kinds of therapists found in NYC:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor – these professionals can help with a wide range of psychological problems through different forms of psychotherapy. They normally have more affordable fees because they only have short training.
- Psychiatrists – they hold license as medical doctors and have training for both psychotherapy and general medicine. They are the ones who are generally allowed to give prescriptions for mental health problems.
- Psychologists – psychologists can have either a Ph.D. or Psy.D. They cannot give prescriptions in New York like psychiatrists can. They have training and specializations in different types of disorders. They can treat mental and emotional disorders through practicing psychotherapy.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker – These social workers function similar to mental health counselors. They charge lower fees as well and can help refer you to other mental health professionals as well.
After gathering prospective names of therapists, you can contact them for more screening. Here are some things you can do to find the best therapist for you.
- Contact them through email, call, or message. Make an appointment through these or schedule one online.
- Upon confirming an appointment, therapists can send you paperwork to fill out before the initial session. This would help you answer in the best way you can rather than being rushed.
- Finalize any preparations for your financial plans. If you would rely on insurance for payment, find out about coverage and other authorization before starting treatment.
- Even if you come in for an initial session, you can still change your mind. Pay attention to how you feel and how your problems are accepted.
Weight problems Definition, Charts, BMI, Causes, Remedy
Asans in Yoga For Bronchial asthma
10 Finest Workout routines For Everybody